Does Alcohol Kill Mold? Find Out Here

Like most homeowners, you’re probably all too familiar with the sight of mold, making you wonder does alcohol kill mold.

From greenish-black blotches on your walls to dank, musty smells in your basement, mold can present itself in various forms and locations. But no matter how it arrives, it must be dealt with swiftly and effectively.

So what’s the solution?

Many people turn to alcohol to eliminate mold, but does this work?

In this article, we’ll dive deep into the answer to this question and determine whether alcohol effectively removes mold from your home. We’ll also cover other methods of removing mold from your home if alcohol doesn’t do the trick.

Let’s dive in!

What Is Mold?

Have you ever noticed patches of discoloration on your walls or ceilings?

If so, there’s a chance they might be mold.

Mold is a fungus that grows in places with high moisture levels. They thrive in areas such as bathrooms and basements. It’s usually black, green, or white and can spread quickly if left unchecked.

Mold thrives in warm, damp environments and can release spores into the air.

Making it essential to quickly identify signs of mold and take steps to get rid of it.

In extreme cases, mold can cause health problems.

You might experience allergic reactions or even asthma attacks. So how do you kill it? And does alcohol do the trick? Read on to find out!

Does Alcohol Kill Mold?

At the most basic level, alcohol can kill off a small number of mold spores.

This can be useful to clean a small mold area around the sink or on a wall.

However, it’s essential to understand that alcohol alone won’t do the trick when it comes to eliminating large patches of mold growth in and around your home.

Alcohol can only kill off surface-level mold and won’t penetrate further into walls or other materials where difficult-to-reach spores might exist.

In addition, using alcohol on porous surfaces such as wood can damage the material and make it more susceptible to water damage in the future.

Even if you did use alcohol-based cleaners on hard surfaces, there’s no guarantee that mold won’t bloom again from moisture trapped beneath paint or wallpaper.

Therefore, for any significant mold problem in your home, it’s best to call a professional for a thorough investigation and cleaning.

How to Use Alcohol to Kill Mold

It’s a straightforward process. You only need to ensure you don’t mix other chemicals with alcohol.

Step 1: Prepare the Room

The room needs to have proper airflow before you get started. Then, you have all the necessary safety equipment. Like rubber gloves, safety goggles, and a face mask.

Step 2: Mix It Up

Next, mix up your alcohol solution — it should be around 70 percent isopropyl or ethanol alcohol, with the rest being water.

Research beforehand; this can also depend on what surface you’re cleaning.

For example, wood surfaces may require more water and less alcohol to avoid damage.

Step 3: Apply the Solution

Now it’s time to apply your solution directly onto any affected areas without diluting it further.

Depending on how moldy certain spots are, it might require multiple applications of alcohol.

Continue applying your solution until the mold is removed entirely, and let it sit for around 10-15 minutes after each application.

Finally, while alcohol can kill some mold effectively, some molds are still resistant to its power and require stronger cleaning agents than what isopropyl or ethanol can offer.

Alternatives to Alcohol for Killing Mold

If you’re looking for an alternative to alcohol for killing mold, there are several options.

Bleach

Bleach is another excellent option for killing mold, and it works incredibly well on non-porous surfaces like tiles or countertops.

Make sure you use a diluted solution of one part bleach to ten parts water, and keep the area ventilated while you work.

Be aware, though, that chlorine bleach will damage fabrics, carpets, and other porous materials.

If you find your hands smelling of bleach after the clean-up, these simple and quick tips should help eliminate the smell.

Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is great for killing mold, too — just mix 3% hydrogen peroxide to water in about equal parts and spray it onto the affected area.

But the room needs to be well-ventilated. Before using the solution wait for it to bubble before then slowly wipe it away with a damp cloth.

Vinegar

Vinegar is also recommended when dealing with smaller mold patches; spray vinegar onto the affected area and let it sit for an hour before wiping it away.

Try using a damp cloth to minimize the spread of spores around the room.

Finally, no matter which killing agent you choose — alcohol, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or vinegar — always wear gloves and safety goggles when working with strong chemicals!

Tips for Preventing Future Mold Growth

It’s not enough to kill mold—you must be proactive and prevent mold growth in your home. Here are some tips:

Control Humidity

Mold loves moisture, so keeping your home as free of humidity as possible is essential. Getting a good dehumidifier can help keep the air dry.

At the same time, it can help keep an eye on other sources of moisture, like dripping pipes or leaky windows.

Keep Rooms Ventilated

Proper ventilation leads to better circulation of air, which can help reduce moisture and the chances of mold growth.

Hang dry your laundry outside, open windows when cooking or showering, or install exhaust fans that vent outside for extra protection against humidity.

Clean Regularly

Frequent cleaning is great to make sure that mold won’t have the chance of growing in the first place.

Wipe down surfaces throughout your house with detergent and warm water, especially ones prone to moisture, like kitchens, bathrooms, basements, and attics.

Don’t forget about dusting, too—mold loves dusty surfaces!

Cleaning After the Mold Is Killed

After you remove the mold using alcohol, cleaning the area thoroughly is essential.

This will help prevent further mold growth by removing any traces of spores that could be left behind. You should also use good detergent and hot water to clean the area.

So why is it important to clean up after killing mold with alcohol? Here are a few reasons:

Removing Residue

Alcohol is great for killing mold but can also leave a residue that can act as a food source for new mold growth.

Removing these residues with hot water and detergent helps to minimize the chance of any further mold growth.

Cleaning Hard-to-Reach Areas

Alcohol won’t reach all areas where the mold might grow, so you’ll need to clean those areas too.

Hot water and detergent will help get into all those hard-to-reach places, removing all the mold from your home or office space.

Killing Spores

Alcohol can kill many of the spores from the surface of fabrics, but it won’t kill them all.

By cleaning up with hot water and detergent, you can reach deep into materials and kill any remaining spores that could cause future problems with mold growth.

These are just some of the reasons why it’s essential to clean up after using alcohol on your mold problem.

Cleaning thoroughly will help ensure your space remains free from new or recurring mold problems!

Conclusion

Through this article, we learned that alcohol, in limited amounts, can be used in some situations to kill mold.

However, it’s important to remember that it may only remove the mold’s surface rather than destroy it altogether.

If you want to get rid of mold for good, it’s best to call a professional to come and treat the area.

This will ensure the mold is completely eradicated. In the meantime, using a solution of alcohol and water can help temporarily remove the mold.

(Visited 64 times, 1 visits today)